Manager, Audience Communications
The Canadian Opera Company aims to bring the transformative experience of opera to our local, national, and global audience every day of the year.
Reporting to the Director, Strategic Initiatives, the Manager, Audience Communications works closely with the Director, Brand & Content and Manager, Audience Insights to design and implement data-driven audience development and revenue generating strategies.
With a holistic approach to ticket, subscription, membership, and donation solicitations, the Manager, Audience Communications will develop and draft compelling written content aligned with the COC’s audience development strategy to spur audience growth and retention, stewarding patrons through a clearly defined loyalty ladder that encompasses the COC’s many programming and engagement pathways.
The Manager, Audience Communications maintains a Philanthropy & Audiences communications calendar, ensuring audience engagement and sales messages are aligned and appropriately segmented in accordance with audience profiles that incorporate patrons’ attendance, philanthropic giving, and engagement behaviours.
The Manager, Audience Communications also generates copy for solicitations and proposals in support of the Philanthropy & Audiences’ annual and individual giving portfolios, and drives the creation of accessible, engaging copy in digital communications and public-facing materials.
Content Development & Strategy
- Supports the Director, Strategic Initiatives in the implementation of strategic communication goals, driven by measurable results
- Supports the Director, Brand & Content and Manager, Audience Insights in mapping the patron journey and loyalty ladder incorporating Philanthropy & Audiences’ full engagement, ticketing, and fundraising activities
- Aligns solicitation strategies to ensure patrons receive clear, singular ‘calls to action’ at the optimal moment in their COC journey
- Serves as a strong internal voice for COC audience profiles and ensures that the different needs and interests of subscribers, members, and donors are represented in content creation
- Designs responsive marketing touchpoints that leverage Tessitura and WordFly data capabilities
- Generates engaging copy that prioritizes accessible storytelling from a personal voice
- Creates touchpoints that appear personal and intimate, even if deployed on a large digital scale
- Fulfills writing needs in support of Philanthropy & Audiences’ Philanthropy and Brand & Content portfolios
- With input from the Philanthropy & Audiences team, oversees the management of the COC’s communications calendar
- Plans and implements the COC’s email marketing initiatives (creates compelling copy, oversees design and internal approvals, and ensures timely deployment)
- Works with the Manager, Digital Content and Manager, Audience Insights to ensure that email marketing initiatives are reflected across all digital platforms (email, website, social media and paid media)
- With the support of the Patron Engagement Officer, helps facilitate outreach, copy and digital assets required to fulfill cross-promotional opportunities and special offers and discounts to develop new audiences
- Participates in Sales team meetings and stays on top of ticket sales, revenue goals and overall trends
- Participates in Content team meetings to ensure that Brand & Content strategy is aligned with sales goals and trends
- Minimum five years’ experience working in a marketing or fundraising environment
- Experience turning complex information into accessible language
- Practical experience writing marketing materials, solicitations or proposals; coordinating colleagues to develop and execute compelling call to actions and experience managing email marketing campaigns
- Experience with relational databases and/or CRM platforms, preferably Tessitura; experience working with email marketing platforms, preferably WorldFly; experience using project management tools, preferably Trello
- Highly effective and clear written and verbal communication skills, and high proficiency with English grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Ability to adapt writing styles for various purposes, for different media requirements, and for different audiences
- Demonstrated project management experience
This is a full-time position with benefits.
ABOUT THE CANADIAN OPERA COMPANY
Based in Toronto, the Canadian Opera Company is the largest producer of opera in Canada and one of the largest in North America. The COC enjoys a loyal audience including a dedicated base of subscribers. Under its leadership team of General Director Alexander Neef and Music Director Johannes Debus, the company has an international reputation for artistic excellence and creative innovation. Its diverse repertoire includes new commissions and productions, local and international collaborations with leading opera companies and festivals, and attracts the world’s foremost Canadian and international artists. The COC Academy is an incubator for the future of the art form, nurturing Canada’s new wave of opera creators with customized training and support. The COC performs in its own opera house, the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, hailed internationally as one of the finest in the world. For more information, visit coc.ca.
Interested persons are invited to submit their resume and cover letter via e-mail or mail, stating salary expectations, no later than December 11, 2020 to:
Director, Strategic Initiatives
Canadian Opera Company
227 Front St. E. Toronto, ON M5A 1E8
Only applications received by December 11, 2020 will be considered.
The Canadian Opera Company thanks, in advance, all applicants; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
The COC is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.