Maintenance Assistant – full-time
The Canadian Opera Company (COC) is now accepting applications for a full-time Maintenance Assistant. The Maintenance Assistant, acting as a good communicator and reliable support for the Building Services Team, is responsible for checking all building areas, receiving deliveries, moving and setting furniture and providing preventative maintenance and basic repairs. The successful candidate will possess some mechanical aptitude, the initiative and the ability to work unsupervised, as well as the spirit and willingness to engage in the excellent service values held by the Canadian Opera Company. The position requires a mature and good-humoured attitude and the ability to effectively follow through with tasks and respectively communicate with a wide variety of personalities.
- Perform daily checks of all outside and inside areas and perimeter of the building, including the mechanical and electrical rooms, stairways, box office, washrooms, entrances, restricted areas and doors
- Perform preventative maintenance tasks such as: signage maintenance, graffiti removal, garbage removal, snow and leaves removal, waste and recycling bins maintenance, loading dock receiving and cleaning
- Perform repairs and maintenance utilizing such skills as carpentry, painting and caulking
- Complete various building-related tasks as directed (painting, minor electrical and plumbing repairs, etc.)
- Alarm monitoring and responding to duress alarms, intrusion alarms and door alarms
- Perform checks in the Sprinkler System and compressor to have proper pressure and HVAC equipment
- Monitoring and surveillance of cameras
- Perform and assist with emergency response as outlined in the Health and Safety Manual
- Follow procedures as outlined in the Building Fire Safety plan, ensure all building and fire safety codes continue to be met
- Proactively identify, manage and mitigate hazards to reduce risks
- Execute duties at all times in a manner consistent with safe working practices and the Occupational Health & Safety Act
- Perform and execute duties in accordance with department policies and procedures including all CoVid protocols
- General knowledge of commercial building operations, equipment and materials
- Driver’s license
- Knowledge of HVAC maintenance an asset
- Ability to work positively and cooperatively in a diverse team environment, with a calm and friendly demeanor and professional attitude dealing with executives, staff, artists and patrons
- Ability to communicate diplomatically with department heads, co-workers and other employees to resolve problems and negotiate resolutions
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines and maintain strict attention to detail
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Office programs – Word, Excel, Outlook email
- Understanding of health and safety procedures
- Must be able to work flexible hours including overnight, nights, weekends and holidays, ability to be on call for emergencies
- Ability to climb ladders and work on rooftop
- Ability to operate machinery and building maintenance equipment
- Frequent walking and climbing of stairs
- Ability to lift and move 50 pounds
- Working with heavy equipment
- Working inside and outside in all weather conditions
ABOUT THE CANADIAN OPERA COMPANY
Based in Toronto, the Canadian Opera Company is the largest producer of opera in Canada and one of the largest in North America. General Director Perryn Leech joined the company in 2021, forming a leadership team with Music Director Johannes Debus and Deputy General Director Christie Darville. The COC enjoys a loyal audience, including a dedicated base of subscribers, and has an international reputation for artistic excellence and creative innovation. Its diverse repertoire includes new commissions and productions, local and international collaborations with leading opera companies and festivals, and attracts the world’s foremost Canadian and international artists. The COC Academy is an incubator for the future of the art form, nurturing Canada’s new wave of opera creators with customized training and support. The COC performs in its own opera house, the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, hailed internationally as one of the finest in the world. For more information, visit coc.ca.
Please email resumes with a cover letter by June 27, 2021 to:
Christian Coulter, Associate Director, Facilities Management, Canadian Opera Company.
The COC thanks, in advance, all applicants who submit resumes; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
The Canadian Opera Company is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Posted May 27, 2021